Monday, April 6, 2015

Tips for Dublin, Ireland: St. Patrick's Day



Oh my goodness you guys! I was in Ireland for St. Patrick's Day and it was AMAZING. Well, not the day of, but I did celebrate the weekend before. Honestly, this was not my normal "Tour Like Crazy" weekend. We mainly just beep bopped around and socialized the entire weekend. It was so nice to have that kind of vacation. Every single one of my trips has been: do such and such by this time, eat, do this, do that, sleep, etc. It was a never ending checklist of things I HAD to do because what if I never came back? For Ireland, I didn't feel that way. I don't know why. I hadn't planned on going back (although a co-worker and I are impulsively going back two weeks later). But it ended up being the best weekend ever because I didn't feel rushed. I just went with the flow. I did pick up some tips that I thought I should pass onto you though!

Tips for Ireland

Taxis are typically easier to use than the bus system. They are building a Tram system right now to go around the center of the city, but there are so many stops on Public Transportation.  So, it takes two hours to get across the city.



The main airport is good distance outside of the city so prepare for that! I nearly missed my flight because we forgot to take that into account.



Most pubs close their kitchens down around 9:00 PM, but if you do eat something at a pub, get the Fish and Chips!



Do a bus tour to view a lot of Ireland. I'll be doing a separate post on this later on!



Guineas Storehouse: buy tickets online! It's typically a little cheaper and the lines are shorter when you show up.



Jameson: You should book in advance for a guaranteed spot! We showed up thinking it was like Guiness where there would be plenty of room. However, all of the tours were booked. You can shop at the gift store and do your own personal tasting at the bar though.


Cliffs of Moher
These cliffs rise around 400 ft above the Atlantic Ocean and is one of the most popular tourist attractions for Ireland. I highly recommend this. It had breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and the fields around. If you would like to learn more about the cliffs, look here.


Baby Cliffs - smaller versions of the Cliffs of Moher (was included in our bus tour)



Temple Bar Area - where the tourists go.
George Street - a lesser known bar area that is right across the street from the Temple Bar area



Know your accents- I was talking to a couple I met and I thought they were Irish! However, they were actually British. #fail



These are some of the restaurants we ate at. I highly recommend them!
Gallagher Boxty - great authentic Irish food and great atmosphere
O'Neils - They do Sunday Buffet. Its a Pub with hundreds of beers to sample
Acapulco - Mexican with great Margaritas!



Learn something new about their culture. The Irish have such a rich culture. For example, did you know their ancestors believed in Faeries? Not our sweet little Tinkerbell's. Their Faeries didn't like to be messed with. They even had Faerie rings, which were raised, circular, flat hills. Their ancestors would avoid them because if you messed a Faerie, they got you back twice as hard. You can read more about them here if you want!

I'll be doing another post on my second trip and the bus tours soon. Have a great day!




You may also be interested in:

How To Use Google Maps to Plan Trips By Happiness And Heather
How To Use Google Maps to Plan Trips
Northern Ireland By Happiness And Heather
Northern Ireland
European Hostel vs Hotel By Happiness And Heather
European Hostel vs Hotel
Bus Tours of Ireland by Happiness and Heather
Bus Tours of Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...